These crispy tempeh strips are a fan favorite around our house! My husband loves them, our toddler loves them, and of course I do too! Before going vegan, one of my favorite comfort foods was always chicken tenders with a side of BBQ sauce; I know I’m not alone in this! Yes, there are so many options now in the vegan “meat” industry, however we like to use tofu and tempeh as alternatives whenever we can. In my opinion, the texture of these crispy tempeh strips is even better than any of the alternatives in the freezer section!
First you will want to evenly cut the tempeh, I usually am able to get 8 strips out of one package of tempeh. Then you will want to prep your wet mixture and dry mixture. Personally, I like to prep my milk and dijon in a bowl, and then the flour, black pepper and salt in a container with a lid. If you don’t want to do that, you can put it in a bowl, I just think it is easier to get all sides coated with less mess if I put the strips in the container and shake it with the lid on.
After coating each stick in the liquid and flour mixture, place them in a pan with oil preheated. Let each side cook a minute or so, until it is golden. If you try to flip them too soon, the flour mixture will flake off into the pan. Sometimes I will do 2 or 3 at a time and sometimes I will do them all at once, it just depends on the size of your pan.
Once each side is golden, serve with your favorite sauce!
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Evenly cut tempeh into 8 strips.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and dijon mustard.
- In a small container with a lid, combine flour, black pepper and salt.
- In a frying pan, warm oil on medium-low heat.
- Toss 2-3 strips of tempeh in wet mixture and coat.
- Place strips in dry mixture and cover with lid, lightly shake until each strip is evenly coated.
- Gently place tempeh strips in oil and fry on each side until golden.
- Continue steps 5-7 until all strips are cooked.
- Serve with your favorite dip and enjoy!